Losing battle to save heritage buildings

Posted 02 Aug 2011 by MediaStuff Popular
Posted in Heritage , Media
This item was posted on the Stuff.co.nz website - click here to view the original

One of the first attempts to save Christchurch's earthquake-hit heritage buildings has failed, with advocates warning they are losing the battle against the bulldozers.

Canterbury Earthquake Heritage Building Trust Board chairwoman Anna Crighton said its first grant to save a heritage building had been withdrawn after the owner decided it was too expensive.

"It is not a battle we are winning. Everything is against us; against any sort of heritage retention,'' she said.

Grants of about $500,000 would have helped prop up the Guthrie Centre in the City Mall, removing the top storey but repairing the ground floor, but owner Peter Guthrie said the cost had not stacked up, despite months trying to save the building and the extra money from the trust.

"We were really keen to keep it, so it is quite sad for us to let it go,'' he said.

The Guthrie Centre was a 130-year-old category 1 heritage building first owned by Christchurch's second mayor, John Anderson. Demolition work will start today.

Crighton said  the trust was still considering applications from other owners, but many were struggling to save buildings that were cheaper and faster to demolish. ''It is quite disheartening.''

The latest figures show the Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority (Cera) has approved the demolition of 152 heritage buildings and the partial demolition of another 34. These included The Press building in Cathedral Square, St Luke's Church in Manchester St and the  Harbourlight in Lyttelton.

Only 45 have been approved for make-safe work.

Christchurch Central Labour MP Brendon Burns heads the post-quake heritage group IConIC, which in May published a list of 40 heritage buildings it believed should be saved.

Less than three months later, Burns said, only 15 of those building were still standing.

"The march of the bulldozers is winning the battle,'' he said.

Many building owners were caught between saving heritage and needing to restore income quickly by replacing the building, he said.

Without Government intervention in the next month there would be no significant heritage buildings left in Christchurch, Burns said.

"Our city is facing a loss that will be lamented for generations,'' he said.

 Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee said that while some people would always argue a building could be saved, safety came first.

"My strong recommendation is that people stop thinking about yesterday and start thinking about tomorrow,'' he said.

 Cera demolition manager Warwick Isaacs said safety came first, but the authority tried to help building owners if they wanted to save heritage elements of quake-hit buildings.

Discussion

Related Items

Court ruling could delay rebuild

Court ruling could delay rebuild

Friday, 31 October 2014 5:00 a.m. by MediaThePress
Court ruling could delay rebuild

Court ruling could delay rebuild

Friday, 31 October 2014 5:00 a.m. by MediaStuff
CTV News Tuesday 30th October 2014

CTV News Tuesday 30th October 2014

Thursday, 30 October 2014 6:45 p.m. by MediaCTV