200 holes cut into CTV, says driller

Posted 05 Jul 2012 by MediaStuff
Posted in Media , Royal Commission
This item was posted on the Stuff.co.nz website - click here to view the original

 

daniel morris
STACY SQUIRES

HAZY MEMORIES: Daniel Morris gives evidence to the royal commission today.

 
Brian Kehoe
STACY SQUIRES/Fairfax NZ
EVIDENCE: California engineer Brian Kehoe opens the royal commission hearing into the CTV building collapse.
 
 

A concrete-cutting company owner has outlined his "hazy" memories of work his staff carried out on the Canterbury Television building, including claims his crew cut 200 holes in the building.

Daniel Morris, the former owner of Knock Out Concrete, outlined his memories of the work to the royal commission today.

He said his staff drilled up to 200 holes into the CTV building, including about 50 into structural concrete beams, some time between 1995 and 2000.

He did not have any records to verify the work, and could not remember who contracted his company to carry it out.

"It was a long time ago. We did a lot of jobs," he said.

Morris said permits obtained to drill the holes was the responsibility of the contractor.

"We were all care, no responsibility. We cut where the main contractor marked. It was up to them to gain permits," he said.

"We were told to just cut through reinforcement if they needed us to."

Morris said this type of work still occurred "around town" today.

When he heard the CTV building had collapsed in the February 2011 quake, he "immediately thought about all the holes that had been cut in the beams".

He contacted the Department of Building and Housing and told it about the hole-drilling work.

"I told them about the size and number of holes drilled. I was not asked for an interview."

Morris said during questioning that it did cause him concern about this type of drilling having an impact on the structural integrity of buildings.

"I used to say, this isn't right ... to the odd foreman," he said.

"It was common cause to be drilling through beams back then, as far as I'm aware."

Morris accepted on questioning that his memory was hazy and he had no records to back up his recollections of work done to the CTV building.

Urban Search and Rescue engineers did not report finding drilled holes in the concrete beams.

Morris said the drilling may have been in the floor.

He had about 20 to 25 people working for him at the time of the CTV job.

He sold the business in 2000.

Lack of training 'clear'

Written guidelines and training on what to look for in earthquake-damaged buildings to uncover structural damage would be beneficial in New Zealand, the inquiry has heard.

Evidence from United States engineer Brian Kehoe continued today.

During questioning from counsel assisting the commission Mark Zarifeh, Kehoe said that in the US there was extensive training available, but there did not appear to be any written guidelines in New Zealand for what engineers and building inspectors should look for in different types of buildings.

"Other than the guidelines for territorial authorities, I don't believe there is anything else," he said.

Zarifeh said a lack of training for inspectors and engineers conducting post-quake rapid assessments, perhaps through lack of opportunity, had "come through very clearly'' in the inquiry.

When engineer David Coatsworth assessed damage to the building on September 29, 2010, he did not assess how the building would fare in another major quake and did not do a seismic analysis.Three city council building inspectors, none of them engineers, gave the CTV building a level 2 rapid assessment and a green placard after they were assured an engineer would assess the building.

Kehoe said that in the US, training in assessing quake damage and its potential consequences was "widely implemented" in many jurisdictions.

"Anyone who does the inspections is supposed to go through training and have a card or certificate that shows they have gone through [it]," he said.

"Inspections are done with two people and the requirement is at least one of them is trained, in some cases be a licensed engineer, but at least have the training."

Kehoe said the impression left after an assessment by Coatsworth on September 29 that the CTV building was safe to occupy was not surprising.

"There was no indication in the statement that if the next earthquake is bigger, there may be a problem."

In the US, the onus was on the building owner to get damage they were concerned about more extensively assessed.

Earlier, Kehoe said he remained confident in an engineer's findings that the CTV building had not sustained significant structural damage after the September 4, 2010, quake.

Kehoe started giving evidence late yesterday and faced questioning from Willie Palmer, for Alan Reay Consultants, and Zarifeh.

Kehoe said he endorsed findings by Coatsworth, who spent four hours doing a visual assessment of the CTV building on September 29, 2010.

Kehoe said in his evidence that, on the basis of Coatsworth's field notes and photographs taken on the day of his visual inspection, he agreed with the conclusion that damage to the structure of the building was "minor damage at worst" and "for the most part" did not warrant structural repairs.

Coatsworth found cracking and damage in the building. He did not have structural drawings of the building, although he had attempted to get them from CTV building manager John Drew and the city council.

Coatsworth concluded the structural damage was minor and did not require a more detailed structural analysis. He recommended repairing the cracks he found, but did not follow up on whether it was done.

Kehoe agreed during questioning that the building had sustained a "design event", meaning that it had undergone the pressure it was designed to withstand in the September 4 quake.

This did not necessarily mean it had lost capacity to withstand more.

The results of September 4 quake was damage to non-structural elements, he said.

Tenants had raised concerns about the building shaking more after the September quake and that it got worse after the Boxing Day quakes in 2010.

The CTV building was not assessed by an engineer after the Boxing Day quakes.

This article was sourced from another website - view the original article.

Discussion

Related Items

Bridge of Remembrance on track to reopen

Bridge of Remembrance on track to reopen

Friday, 25 April 2014 7:27 a.m. by Media3News
CTV News   Thursday 24 April

CTV News Thursday 24 April

Thursday, 24 April 2014 7:35 p.m. by MediaCTV

Rebuild Jobs

Show me more jobs like these

Powered by