More than 8000 people have visited Canterbury Museum since it partially opened on Monday 2 July.
Museum Director Anthony Wright is confident that these numbers will continue to rise as the Museum works towards fully opening next month.
“Given the fact that we are only partially open, our visitor numbers have been fantastic – we’ve had 8500 people through our doors,” he says.
“The amount of support we have received reflects just how important the Museum is to our local and international communities. We have a strong reputation and, now more than ever, we have a vital role to play in the recovery of our city.”
Mr Wright says the Canterbury Quakes exhibition has proved immensely popular, and opening on the first day of the school holidays helped to boost visitor numbers.
“It was fortunate that we opened just in time for the school holidays as we’ve seen a lot families coming through over the last week. The Canterbury Quakes exhibition has also been popular. People only have until 1 October before this exhibition goes on tour, so they are coming in to see it before it closes which is great to see.”