Canterbury CDEM UPDATE 12pm 16/10/16

Posted 16 Nov 2016 by PRNews Featured Popular

Canterbury CDEM UPDATE

The Canterbury CDEM Group declared a state of local emergency for Hurunui and Kaikoura.

All districts in Canterbury are coordinating with each other to provide support to Hurunui and Kaikoura.

Latest update: Kaikoura

Health

• CDHB has reported at least 56 injuries in Kaikoura

• Four patients have been flown out of Kaikoura

People

• There are 70 people staying at the marae tonight

• About 700 tourists are camping around the town

• Woodend CDC has received 160 evacuees from Kaikoura.

• We estimate a further 1000? are still to be evacuated out of Kaikoura. Flights will resume at 9:45amWednesday morning.

• 859 homes in the wider Kaikoura area are still without power

• Ongoing checks will continue tomorrow- Oraro, Goose Bay and other isolated areas

Infrastructure

• New World Kaikoura is now open with limited supplies

• We are continuing to monitor the Clarence River and other rivers regarding flow levels, weather, and for any risks of another landslide

• All buildings in the Kaikoura township are closed

• Urban Search and Rescue are on site

• The first Geotech staff will be going to Kaikoura to investigate landslide and rockfall risk to buildings on Wednesday in coordination with Kaikoura EOC.

• Hospital and airfield are operating

• While electricity has been restored to Kaikoura township, it was intermittent overnight

• Sewerage ponds have been damaged

• Damage to 3 water reservoirs and 2 pump stations.

• 50 percent of the town has access to the town water supply

• We expect 75 percent of the town to have access to the town water supply by mid-morning Wednesday. The remaining 25 percent will have access to a reliable water supply.

• The hospital and marae have access to reliable water

• Phone and internet is still patchy

• Building inspections started today. Tomorrow we will focus on hostels, hotels and lodges.

Roading

• Vehicles stranded on SH1 between Oaro and Kaikoura have been cleared

• SH6 Rai Valley to Renwick = open, drivers take care

• SH1 Cheviot to Ward = closed due to earthquake damage

• SH1 Seddon to Ward = open

• SH1 Cheviot to Goose Bay = open for local residents and emergency services

• SH1 Blenheim to Kaikoura = closed at Flaxbourne River Bridge due to earthquake damage

• SH7 between Waipara to Springs Junction = open, drive with care

• SH7a Tekoa to Hanmer Springs = closed to all vehicles between 8pm Tuesday to 7am Wednesday

• SH73 between Christchurch and the West Coast = open, temporary speed limits in place

Latest update: Hurunui

• Residents should boil their water before drinking

• Supplies have been delivered to Waiau

• Waiau Bridge is open and accessible from both directions

• Extensive damage to Mt Lyford, but everyone is accounted for

• Door knocking is happening in Mt Lyford to assess residents’ welfare needs

• There was damage to hotels in the district and several houses in Parnassus have suffered from earthquake damage

• Waiau and Rotherham appear to be the most affected farming areas, we have little information about Kaikoura farms.

• Farmers should go to the Environment Canterbury website for information about stock drinking water access and milk disposal.

• 671 homes in Hurunui district are still without power

 

Discussion

Related Items

Changes proposed to bring life to the Square

Changes proposed to bring life to the Square

Monday, 31 July 2017 12:25 p.m. by Regenerate Featured Popular
Southern Response to Step in on EQC Botched Repairs

Southern Response to Step in on EQC Botched Repairs

Monday, 26 June 2017 7:22 p.m. by Labour Featured Popular