Wednesday 15 February 2017, 7.00pm
WELFARE CENTRES OPEN FOR RESIDENTS
Residents who have been evacuated due to the Port Hills fires are able to seek help at two city welfare centres at Te Hapua Halswell Centre and Nga Hau e Wha Marae.
As of 6.30pm, just a handful of residents had arrived at the centres.
Around 300-400 people have been officially evacuated from homes in Worsley Road, Cracroft, the bottom of Hoon Hay Valley Road and the Westmorland area. Hundreds of others across the hills have self-evacuated as the fire spreads.
Welfare Centres are now open at Te Hapua Halswell Centre on Halswell Road and Nga Hau e Wha Marae on Pages Road, for residents who have been evacuated as a result of the Port Hills fires.
Christchurch Civil Defence Controller John Mackie says States of Emergency have been declared in Christchurch and Selwyn. The NZ Defence Force has also been deployed to support the response.
Canterbury Regional Controller Neville Reilly has been deployed to the Christchurch Civil Defence Emergency Operations Centre to head the overall response to the fires.
· If you are at all worried or uncomfortable remaining in your home, please evacuate. You can go to either of the city welfare centres for assistance.
· People are advised to stay away from the hills to allow emergency services access and ensure swift evacuation.
· Orion remain on full alert, ready to respond to any issues with power supply as a result of the fires. It is possible that there will be further outages until the fire is fully extinguished.
If people are worried about their safety they should to leave their homes. If widespread evacuation is needed, emergency services will inform residents directly.
• Cashmere Rd is closed west of Kaiwara St to Kennedys Bush Rd.
• Worsleys Rd is closed from Cashmere Rd
• Hoon Hay Valley Rd is closed.
• Kennedys Bush Road is closed form the roundabout with Rock Hill Drive. This includes the southbound cycle track
• Worsleys Track from Worlseys Road is closed
• Dyers Pass Road is closed between Hackthorne Road to Governors Bay Road. Use the Lyttelton Tunnel or Gebbies Pass as the alternate route
• Summit Road is closed between Gebbies Pass and Rapaki Track
• Old Tai Tapu Road is closed between Osterholts Road and Early Valley Road
• Early Valley Road is closed
• Holmes Road is closed.
Council updates here: https://www.ccc.govt.nz/the-council/newsline/show/1406
Traffic updates here: http://www.tfc.govt.nz/…/late…/port-hills-fire-update-600pm/
Full health warning here: